THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING IN STRAITS TOUCH RUGBY TOURNAMENT.
Straits Touch Rugby ResultsTournament Results
Event Date: 18th January 2020
Arrival and departure
Teams are required to arrive at Marlborough on Saturday 18 January for 07:45 in preparation for a 08:40 kick off. There will be a coaches’ briefing at 08:15. Parking will be clearly signposted on arrival at Marlborough.
The tournament is scheduled to finish by 14:30 following the final presentations for each age category.
The U10, U12, U14, U16 and U18 tournaments will be held across six main pitches, which will be clearly marked with 12 individual touch pitches. The U10 and U12 tournaments will be played on the newly laid back pitches; there will be two touch pitches marked in both of these areas. All fields are clearly visible on entry to the Marlborough campus and pitch locations can be found below. Toilets will be accessible from all fields of play. There will be numerous tents between pitches to provide shade for participants and spectators throughout the day. Each team will be assigned a team tent on arrival.
The cost of the tournament will be RM300 (S$100) per age group, per team and this will be sent as an invoice to the team’s main contact (as provided on the form – link above).
Lightning is indicated by a siren and a flashing light from the lightning alarm system. All players will be directed to the main sports hall where they will remain until the all-clear signal from the lightning alarm has sounded and the Tournament Director has advised that play can continue. If there is a significantly prolonged delay, a coaches’ meeting will be called and a decision about proceeding will be agreed.
The College has excellent security. However, coaches and players should ensure all valuables are stored away safely.
There will be reasonably priced food available to purchase from a variety of vendors on the day. Food can be purchased with Malaysian Ringgit or Singapore Dollars, please note that cash will be the only form of payment accepted.
** Food is not provided by the College, please ensure participants bring Malaysian Ringgit or Singapore Dollars to purchase from one of the vendors. **
All players should be advised to bring a reusable water bottles that can be refilled from the water dispensers provided. There will also be a refreshment stall available, selling hot and cold drinks and snacks for all participants, staff and parents.
Marlborough nurses will be situated in red medical tents and will be on-hand to treat players throughout the tournament; these tents will be easily accessible by all pitches. In the event of a serious injury, participants will be taken to:
Columbia Asia Hospital:
Persiaran Afiat, Taman Kesihatan Afiat, 79250 Nusajaya, Johor, Malaysia.
Lebuhraya Sultan Iskandar, Tanjung Puteri, 80300 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia.
Coaches require all necessary player contact details and documents for insurance purposes; players without insurance must have adequate funds to cover any expenses incurred.
For teams travelling a significant distance to participate in the competition, we recommend staying at the hotel detailed below:
Address: 55, Jalan Indah 15/2, Taman Bukit Indah, 81200, Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia.
- Tel: +607-231 8888
- Fax: +607-231 8889
Balls and equipment
Teams are to bring balls for practice between matches and warm-ups. Match balls will be provided.
Following the end of play, all teams will gather by the scorers’ tent for the presentation of Runners-up and Winners medals for each age category by the Master of the College. Winners will also receive the MCM Straits Touch Trophy, which will be engraved with details of the winning team. There will also be trophies in the Plate and Bowl competitions.
Marlborough College Malaysia is proud to have Legend Brands and Iskandar Investments as our sponsors of the Straits Tournaments. Legend Brands represent a number of sports brands in the region and there will be the opportunity to purchase a variety of sporting items from them at the Retail Tent on the day. Please note that cash, in Singapore Dollars and Malaysian Ringgit, will be the only form of payment accepted.
** All teams in possession of a trophy from the 2018 competition will be required to bring them on 18 January 2020. **
Laws of the Tournament
All matches will be played under current Laws of the game of Touch Rugby, as guided by the Federation of International Touch (FIT) 4th Edition Rulebook 2013.
Player Birth Date Cut-Off Dates
U10 – on or after 31st July 2009
U12 – on or after 31st July 2007
U14 – on or after 31st July 2005
U16 – on or after 31st July 2003
U18 – on or after 31st July 2001
All matches will be refereed by external qualified referees. Refereeing decisions must be respected by all participants, spectators and coaches.
There will be 12 TAS referees assigned to officiate the U10, U12, U14, U16 and U18 tournaments. However, coaches and volunteers should be prepared to assist and step in if there is an unforeseen shortage.
Tournaments for U10 will follow a round robin format. The U12, U14, U16 and U18 tournaments will follow a pools and play-offs format: Cup, Plate and Bowl.
- Matches for U10, U12, U14, U16 and U18 age categories will be 15 minutes one way. There will be 5 minutes between each game.
Composition of teams
Teams may assemble squads of up to 14 players (please note: there is only provision for 14 1st and 2nd place medals).
Teams may not have more than 6 players on the field during play at any one time.
Unlimited interchange of players is permitted. Entry onto the field is only permitted once the exiting player has left the field of play.
Points will be awarded as follows:
- 4 points for a win, a walkover or a bye
- 2 points for a draw
- 1 point for a loss
In the event of a walk-over, the score will be recorded as 2 tries to 0 in favour of the side that was present and ready to play. The Tournament Director shall determine when a side is more than three minutes late in being on the field ready to play, in which case a walkover shall be awarded.
Should a ‘Winner’ be required in tied matches, the following Drop-Off procedure is used to determine a Winner:
- Each Team will reduce their on-field Team to five (5) players and within 60 seconds take up a position to restart play from the Halfway Line, defending the same end of the field as at the End of Play.
- The Drop-Off commences with a Tap from the centre of the Halfway Line by the Team that did not commence the match with Possession.
- Each team will have a series of six (6) touches to score (e.g. if team 1 score a try in their first six, the opponents have a chance to reply.)
- If an unanswered try is scored, or a team scores twice during the first two (2) minute period, the leading team will be declared the Winner and the Match complete.
- If the score is equal after a two (2) minute period, a player is removed from each team to make it 4v4.
- The Drop-Off continues with a two (2) minute period of extra time, during which the first team to score will be declared the Winner and the Match complete.
- Should neither Team score during the two (2) minute period, a signal is given and the match will pause at the next Touch or Dead Ball. Each Team will then remove another player from the Field of Play (3v3).
- The Match will recommence immediately after the players have left the field at the same place where it paused (i.e. the Team retains Possession at the designated number of Touches, or at Change of Possession due to some Infringement or the sixth Touch) and the Match will continue until a Try is scored.
- Substitution during the Drop-Off is permitted in accordance with normal Interchange Rules.
Where teams are equal on points at the end of the round robin tournament, the position shall be determined as follows:
- Head to head; if equal; then;
- In points difference; if equal, then;
- In tries scored; if equal then;
- First try scored in head to head.